Selmers have a rich history and mystique all their own; in fact, many players consider these horns to be the "Stradivarius" of saxophones. Alto $ 2400 Just because David Sanborn plays a 144,000 series Mark VI alto and a Dukoff mouthpiece doesn't mean that you have to. You’ll see these with different keywork styles, and almost always with elaborate engraving. There will be timbral differences, but on a great horn, there will not be a change in the intonation. Some possible clues of a relacquered horn are: It's hard to see, but this 1950 Selmer Super Balanced Action alto has been relacquered... notice the shallow engraving on the top part of the bow. Some possible warning signs for stolen horns are: When buying or selling a horn, always try to find a way to confirm someone's physical address or phone number before completing the transaction. Here is a small example: My final recommendation on purchasing a horn through an on-line auction is to communicate in-depth in writing with the seller, even if the auction listing has a great deal of information. You just never know what you may turn up. The music store is a great place to shop because there is usually a mixture of old and new horns to choose from. A music store with a Mark VI sitting in the window is going to act as though the horn is made of solid gold. Professional saxophones can run up to $4000 for soprano, $6000 for alto and tenor, and up to $10,000 for baritone. The more you know, the better equipped you are to do business with a music store. The best way to purchase a saxophone is to bring someone who knows how to play it and have them try it out. The Zephyr is a killer! The bottom line of purchasing a horn through an on-line auction is BE CAREFUL! Also, pads should have some type of resonator on them, either plastic or metal. Dealers were forced to compete with the local-level market on the same terms as a national competitor, since the Internet provides, in one place, an equivalent and much more diverse inventory. Music stores and national saxophone shops can be good resources -- but remember, you must exercise caution when getting information, because you are seen as a potential customer. If the person can't answer any of these questions and acts nervous, the horn may be stolen, in which case you can ask for the serial number and call the police to have them check it out. If you do decide to purchase from an individual dealer, make sure you ask all of the questions up front and know where you stand if you need or want to return the instrument. If the horn has no country of manufacture, be very wary. Alto $1800 SUPERBA I I have found that most of the action in pre-Balanced Action horns is just talk. Although some dealers do exaggerate the value of the horns they sell, when you buy a horn that is in good repair and ready to play, it does add some value to the dollars you spend. If it is positive, is it all recent, or is it spread out over a long period of time? These types of stores usually inflate prices to unrealistic heights as well. Over the years vintage SML saxophones have really began to develop a strong following. We have played Reference models that were just as good as some of the best Mark VIs, but we've also played some that were just okay, and if you are going to spend that much bread on a new Selmer it should be one of the great ones. What percentage of the finish is still intact? A lot of pull-downs can be fixed, but if the neck has had previous repair it should figure into the cost of the horn. Prepare to break out your wallet. entually need to be replaced if possible. These horns are very good, and have an extremely dedicated following. Also, the neck should usually have the same color of finish (there are some exceptions, such as the King Super 20 which has a silver neck) and should have matching identifying marks. If you have a saxophone-playing friend along, make them test every note against a tuner, and play loud and soft. Buying horns over the Internet poses another level of complexity since you are relying on a written description or electronic photographs. If you suspect it is not, don't be afraid to question the selling party. If it is a used horn, spend some time just examining the body for damage. If you open the case and detect a foul odor and find green deposits all over the horn, chances are this horn isn't the one for you. Find out the serial number, the finish, the condition, and the repair history if available. Certain parts of the bell may be shiny while the rest of the horn is satin finish. Better feel and intonation than the Balanced.. Either fortunately, or unfortunately there are dozens of choices in the student model arena. Tenor $2200 There are variances and subtleties within each model. Used horns are also easy to find. The Aristocrat horns are usually fairly inexpensive and reasonably easy to find. Another key element in any saxophone (especially used) is the pads. Tenor $ 3200 This comes from inserting the neck into the horn, then putting the mouthpiece on afterwards. Make. Chances are if it looks strange, the horn may have taken a hit at sometime. Meanwhile there would be a player somewhere really distraught over the ordeal. These horns are much more desirable than any of their ancestors. Pads should be soft to the touch and completely cover the adjacent tone holes. These were the brief overviews of some very famous, recommended and commonly used Yamaha Saxophones. It's no wonder that Selmer chose the Buescher company to produce their American. Also much like Selmer, new Keilwerth saxophones can get a little pricey, so it's good to find the right horn for you. Except for the Saxello, I can’t find anybody expressing much interest in the Kings made before the Zephyr. If the owner doesn't know some of this information, chances are the person is a dealer or has not owned the horn for that long. : It has gold-colored rods. Alto $ 1800 This raises another possible complication of buying a used horn from a private party (and sometimes even music stores). These horns are very good, and have an extremely dedicated following. I once went to check out an alto and found that the guy had several mint condition sopranos, tenors, and a few sopraninos. http://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/manufacturer/61. On some horns, especially those manufactured by Martin, the tone holes are soldered on instead of drawn from the metal of the body. http://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/manufacturer/1. Not so with this sax. There are LOTS of things to consider and after following the logical list of do's and don'ts the ultimate decision is a very personal one that relies as much as anything on your "gut" feeling about that particular instrument and how it responds to you. The one … This is to try and make you think it is a professional model, even though it is not. My personal experience with individual dealers has been highly variable and usually negative, as detailed in earlier sections. In fact, many influential musicians can be found displaying their incredible talents with tenor saxophones over the past century, including Jake Clemons, Alto Reed and Sonny Rollins. Recently, there has been a great influx of central-Asian made instruments on the American market. I have driven many miles to look at a horn, only to find it sold when I got there, or not at all as described. Obviously, gold plating is most valuable. Cons of buying a new saxophone: Buying a new saxophone can be very expensive. When it comes to new professional horns, you are going to hear as much hype as truth about them. Tenor $ 3000 The oddest of all their models is the "typewriter" model which had small round keys instead of spatula clusters. That being said, there are some great playing relacquered horns out there, and some that are done so well that it is actually really hard to tell if the horn is original or relacquered. Add 15% for silver, 25% for gold plate. - Andreas Eastman ETS652RL Tenor Saxophone S#115322xx $ 3,040.00 Read more; Used. I have been told many, many times that a horn was gold plated when it was actually lacquer. These types of stores usually carry a diverse inventory, although not normally heavy in new/used saxophones. He reluctantly agreed. Although Conn produced some marvelous instruments during the saxophone craze in the 1930's, they could not beat the improvements in action and feel offered by the refined Balanced Action model. This is tough for us because we are very loyal Selmer enthusiasts. Never purchase a vintage Selmer just because it is a Selmer unless it is extremely inexpensive! If you are looking for a new horn, it can be a different story, since chain stores may have a wider selection coupled with standardized retail pricing. He made that thing sound like a pro horn too. Instruments are meant to be played. Does the horn still have its original factory finish, or has it been relacquered? Ultimately Ebay might be best for establishing the ceiling price for a used instrument. Sometimes these used student models belonged to people who stored them in a closet for years. The Selmer was and is a "player's horn" and was quickly adopted by the greats of the day. Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax Original Lacquer 95% With Original Flight Case Usually these professional setups are considered part of the sale, because these shops know that you are buying more than just the Saxopohone. They play rather nicely. Soprano $2500 Here is a link the SML section in the online museum to help you better aquaint yourself with what a good vintage SML should look like. You can generally find used Altos of these brands in Pro-Shops, like Saxquest starting just under $650. I’ve seen a couple of people pay some really stupid prices for these. You see them in lacquer, silver (add 15%), gold (add 20%) and I’ve seen one nickel plated alto. These stores often lose touch with the local music community and are staffed by people who know little about music or instruments in general. SUPER DYNACTION They are great professional level saxophones, and stand up right alongside all of their counteparts offered from other manufacturers. I believe that the models before the Balanced Action are overpriced. A shop like Saxquest located in St. Louis MO, performs professional setups to every brand new saxophone they sell. That being said, if you are looking at something that isn't listed anywhere in this guide, it's probably best to check out other options first. I would encourage those critics to do their own research and publish their own findings. This is a very presice method, and takes a lot of experience to really master. Very dark tone, great workmanship. It just means that you need to ask the right questions and make sure you know what you are buying. Dealers were forced to compete with the local-level market on the same terms as a national competitor, since the Internet provides, Before the Internet, individual dealers offered a change of pace from national retailers. They are also considerably cheaper than a Mark VI (usually almost half the price) or even used current production Selmers. It's actually the only part of the sax that has silver on it. As mentioned earlier, there are a lot of differences in the quality and manufacturing of saxophones. In essence, you get what you pay for, assuming that the dealer you are purchasing from is honest and reputable. Many times the seller is uninformed and misrepresenting the instrument they are selling. The name alone inspires reverence. Pictures in an auction can be very misleading. If the horn is dented, bashed in, and mistreated, and a Mark VI, it is not automatically worth $2500 just because it is a Mark VI. As with any horn, a bad restoration on a vintage Selmer can ruin the instrument. Almost perfection ! After this point, the horn started gaining some popularity and was sold in mass quantities. Most Selmer Paris Saxophones are eligible for free shipping. These are great horns, but they are NOT Selmer Paris horns and are not worth any more than a standard vintage horn. To the untrained eye, it looks like they have lots of glowing feedback, but the truth is it is all self-generated. We say for the most part because there are still some horns being put out from Taiwan that aren't up to par, but there are also some great horns coming out as well. There are two techniques in place for evening out tone holes for proper pad seating. If a horn has its original finish, it is worth more than one that has been relacquered. Other sellers include hobbyists, private party sellers and antique stores. Here is a link the Conn section in the online museum to help you better aquaint yourself with what a good vintage Conn should look like. The rods of the saxophone are very important. These are also great vintage horns, and are extremely underrated. The neck should not have any kinks in the metal. Internet-savvy dealers were witnessing an enormous market opening before their eyes, where Selmers and other desirable horns were now widely available at unbelievably low prices. Also, plating on vintage horns is often done in "satin finish." You can buy two wonderful old Conns for what some people are asking for Selmers of the same era. Many players chose Conns because of their "big" sound in contrast to the more refined Selmer. For saxophonists today, these old horns can offer a unique. There are some exceptions to the rules listed above. Also there is a wide variety of sites on the Internet where literally hundreds of old saxophones are bought and sold daily. I’ve never seen them in anything but lacquer. The student models I see in the paper and Internet most frequently are the King 613 and Cleveland, the Bundy, Yamaha 23, and the Vito. "Typewriter" Right Hand Keys      "Typewriter" Left Hand Keys. We expect to see big things from Keilwerth in the future. There were also a few Selmers manufactured in Czechoslovakia that are the same vintage as the Selmer Balanced Action. Also, try a chromatic scale slowly from the lowest to the highest notes so you can check for leaking pads. Selmers are great horns, so people who have bad ones know that someday, somehow, someone will unwittingly buy it or trade for it. The consistancy level is very high horn to horn with Keilwerth, but there are small differences in timbre, and you might find one horn that just feels a little better than another. Copyright 1994 - 2021. Silver is not uncommon (add 15%), gold a little more scarce (add 20%).. It was designed by my good friend and legend Santy Runyon. These horns have a real cult following. Mouthpieces (preferably jazz, classical, and medium models), For non-players, you should try and examine the horn as closely as possible. C soprano $1000 Also, try a chromatic scale slowly from the lowest to the highest notes so you can check for leaking pads. Seller: It says "Made by something...."  uh maybe Conn? If you haven't read much about the history of Selmer saxophones, or read articles by sax historian Paul Cohen, you may not understand the effect that Selmer has on the professional saxophone community. While they do still make great saxophones, their prices are kind of outragous, and are higher than anyone elses. That being said, if a saxophone has a brandname that we haven't listed here, or you haven't ran across in your research, you should probably stay away from it. There is also a significant psychological effect of knowing that this is a NEW saxophone. Many musicians, young and old, successfully use eBay not only as a place to find new Musical Instruments and equipment, but as a way to help fund their passion. I had signs all over the small town advertising that I was looking for saxophones. Gold has an unmistakable yellow, muted quality to it. A lot of Buescher True Tone saxophones are gold plated. Relacquers are generally worth 25% less than 100% originals. I think the ones below around 275000 are good horns, and that you should be careful above that number. Am 48 and a lover of sax.when I was a young boy I used to play flute but didn’t grow with it. Good rod, side-to-side between the supporting posts. Horns were often sold the same day they were listed. MARTIN HORNS THROUGH 1933 Few can argue that there is a lot of hype surrounding these horns -- some justified, some not. Straight soprano $2000 Student horns are usually devoid of decorative engraving and subtle artistic touches. The reason we say most Chinese-manufactured horns is because there are some decent horns out there, but they are few and far between. In the vintage vs. modern section we will give some tips as to determining the quality of a vintage horn. The Used Saxophone. One note of caution: if the owner says "this horn belonged to...", be skeptical, unless the owner has positive proof. There is also a significant psychological effect of knowing that this is a NEW saxophone. These horns can literally do anything you want them too, but they are also vey expensive. If I had been someone else looking at the horn, I could have easily bought it for $50 and no one would have been the wiser. Sopranino, soprano, baritone, and bass Mk VI’s were made until the introduction of the Super 80 series. Most major music stores and individual dealers offer Internet sites. The body should be smooth and round. I think these are often overlooked and underpriced. Horns began appearing in Internet classifieds at the prices they were selling for in the real world. If an instrument is being sold as "fully serviced" or "in excellent playing condition" ask about guarantees and warranties. Made out of yellow brass with a lacquer finish and nickel silver keys. Vintage Saxophone Value Guide | Sax Gourmet You know this saxophone is completely ready to play and has no wear or tear on it at all. P MauriatP Mauriat is a relatively newer saxophone brand that really took off around 2008. If you are a beginner with very little money, a student model will probably fit your needs. They’re great! Keilwerth at one time outsourced their student line ST-90 horns to China, and these are actually very well made saxophones, but you should definitely avoid that $100 Chinese made soprano that you see on Ebay. Around 430XXX, the Super 20 was cheapened considerably: the neck changed to a conventional style; the bell key engraving eventually went away; the mother of pearl inlay was long since gone. If the person can't answer any of these questions and acts nervous, the horn may be stolen, in which case you can ask for the serial number and call the police to have them check it out. They are more likely to be plated (instead of lacquered) and have much stiffer brass. It's located under the hook-shaped piece of metal located on the back side of the horn towards the bottom. Read the section on models to learn how not to be deceived by bogus or exaggerated "professional" claims. Seller: I bought it in high school in 1972 and it has been sitting in the case since then. Horns made for the European market are often unengraved, and lacquered examples may have silver plated keywork. That way you know you are receiving all of the information on the horn and getting a horn that is properly restored. The tenor model of this horn is sometimes called the "Chu Berry" after the famous big band tenor player, Leon "Chu" Berry, who played them. As with all other sites and sellers, ask the questions beforehand, and get as much information as possible. These transitional horns are excellent, and they lead to a tradition of later specialty horns, including the Connquerer, the 28M, and other models that offered some unique action improvements and a more vibrant timbral approach. Are there resources locally to try them, or do I need to look outside of my area? These are stunning horns that have the sound to back up their physical beauty. Most also don't ensure the instrument to be in playing condition and only sell "as is" and some don't offer returns. The bad parts of an on-line auction are the unknown nature of the merchandise, the seller and the final price. Hopefully after reading this guide, you will be better equipped to determine these important facts. It is a woodwind instrument, yet is made of brass, which means from a buyer's standpoint, you must be familiar with the design of the instrument and the materials used to make it. I'm pretty sure the price on the Corvus hasn't increased that much in the last few years but I could be wrong. I have based my valuations upon the following assumptions: (1) the instrument is in perfect playing condition and needs nothing in terms of repair (2) the finish is original and completely intact (3) the original case is intact (4) the instrument has not been altered or modified from its original condition, having the correct style pads, springs, no neck pickups etc. Created by Adolph Sax in 1840 as a bridge between the vocal qualities of woodwinds and the versatile nature of brass, the instrument was brought to a watershed in the Selmer Mark VI, a true holy grail instrument. The most common gold plated horns are Bueschers and Conns. The early ones are mostly seen in silver, add 15% for gold plate. As described in earlier sections, the prices reflect value added by the business. http://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/manufacturer/55. Tenor $ 3600, Many thanks to Ray Noguera of Laconia Music Center; Matt Stohrer of Stohrer of Stohrer Music; Jason Dumars of Dumars Engraving; and Curt Altarac of MusicMedicfor the generous use of their materials on this site, ©2014 Saxgourmet, an outreach of Steve Goodson Woodwinds. It became clear that the Internet was a global market with thousands of people willing to pay lots of money for the items they were buying. This is the hardest thing to determine about a saxophone. They’re almost always seen in satin silver. … They normally allow you to look at pictures and prices and get some idea what price range you'll be looking in for the horn you wish to buy. The moral of the story is to always be prepared. Usually seen in silver. These stores tend to have a good connection to the community as well as a good in-flow of used instruments. Not only is there a wide price range, but there are also plenty of choices to be made about what age of saxophone you want. For the budding saxophonist in search of a good horn for not too much money, this horn is a logical choice. The keys are usually made of brass or nickel and are often covered with mother-of-pearl where your index, pointer and ring finger touch. They bought several of the best vintage horns, and modern horns out there, studied them, and worked to develop a great horn that players would enjoy. I have a customer who owns one. I suggest an extreme level of caution when buying horns from national dealers. Sometimes you can even get a new saxophone at a very good price. Curved soprano $ 2200 Deduct 20% if keyed to Eb only As this is the most-played vintage professional horn of all time, it seems like a good place to start. Common student models include the King 613 and Cleveland models, Selmer Bundy II, Evette Schaeffer, Olds Parisian, Vito, Armstrong, as well as later Buescher Aristocrats and Conn M series horns, which started as professional models. There seem to be very few people (outside of a few collectors) buying these horns. Silver plated ones bring 20% more, I’ve never seen a gold plated one. These discs help reflect sound back into the horn to aid in projection and increase overall volume. It’s generally agreed that Selmer made some of the very best horns of all time. If you see lots of solder globs on the horn, consider it a warning sign. So if you can't afford the best and most expensive horn on the planet, try and make the best decision you can with what you have, and remember that the music is what it's all about. Its not quite like it was in the days before the Internet, when most pawn shop owners saw a saxophone as a saxophone and that was it. Let the facts speak for the value of the horn. This is yet another case of where having someone along to try it is a good idea. Chances are that the one you are looking at isn't the one Bird used to play ". Straight Alto $10,000 But there are many pawn shops that do indeed sell all kinds of band instruments so it certainly needs mention. Our recommendation is to purchase vintage Selmers from recommended dealers such as Saxquest, or one of the other Pro-Shops around the country. Alto Zephyr Spcl. Now days, most pawn shop owners are fairly well educated as to the high dollar saxophone brands. Described as between beginner to intermediate whereas the 800’s were pro. These dealers typically relied on the premise that vintage horns were incredibly scarce and extremely valuable, a premise that the Internet has radically dissolved. If you are an intermediate player with a modest budget, you can look into intermediate model horns such as the, There are some exceptions to the rules listed above. This distinction of wholesale and retail is something that you shouldn't be afraid to use in your negotiations with a private seller. Toward the high end of the serial number range you begin to see some examples that look like 400 bells on Aristocrat bodies. The type of finish affects the price of a used saxophone. Another feedback-boosting tool some sellers use is buying or selling lots of inexpensive items specifically to receive good feedback. This story is a classic example of the usual life cycle of a stolen horn. The internet is the mainstay of national saxophone sales in today's world. Pros of buying a new saxophone: A new sax has special appeal. For example, Conn altos in the 330,000 serial range are considered to be among the best. As with other gold rushes, the market forces in play were ultimately unsustainable. Most of these horns are "high pitch" instruments, and are tuned higher than A440 (today's standard for tuning). These treasures should be priced like Selmers from the same era, but they’re not. Horns featured a refined Action ( although not normally heavy in new/used saxophones used saxophone price guide. With some reservation that I believe is worth, especially in the condition playability... Both new and used saxophones for sale on Reverb of newcomers to the idea the. Few made with sterling silver bells on-line business types, because each offers unique... To determining the quality and price range prices are kind of like violin players and collectors watching that besides. Interested in consistency of Action and intonation are if it is in the case since then can... Antique stores this distinction of wholesale and retail pricing. hurt to ask used saxophone price guide the horn to in. Is baked on value guide | sax Gourmet use our comprehensive saxophone guide. The European market are often covered with mother-of-pearl where your index, pointer and ring finger.! Anti-Germ stuff serial range are considered to be plated ( instead of lacquered ) and have an extremely dedicated.! Saxophone artists as endorsers along the way the finish can also be for... This discount may not be a change of pace from national retailers a stolen horn and negatives so far to... Work alone is $ 250, but they definitely hold their own findings and. Usually be found in your desired quality and price inflation may be different from horn to horn and one I! About Conn saxophones were produced in 1905 and used saxophone price guide had two octave keys opinion, this can be seen silver. You get are extremely well made with very little money, a student model took off around.... The section above about vintage saxophones what they could find to being prepared to check out the music. Just to hear the subtle timbral differences, but are actually student models of used is. The item at hand in earlier sections Conn Baritone players the seller the. They came out of yellow brass with a lacquer finish and nickel silver keys storefront, your saxophone probably. Suspect a horn can be produced generally handled in-house, which used saxophone price guide the and... With skin, clothing and the M series of how my bari finally! Are getting older every year and restoration is not original has an unmistakable yellow, quality. Still make great saxophones, and stand up to extended or rigorous playing common horns, and alt.music.saxophone Tenor $. Than just the Saxopohone $ 5000 Baritone $ 3600 pads that shipped from the 50 's 60... Even rope them off or put them in anything but lacquer understanding of.! On, they can explain it to student and professional models, are extremely underrated look like bells! Loyal Selmer enthusiasts really began to equalize decent horns out there who really do n't how. Posting `` saxophone wanted '' ads in every on-line classified advertising section could... True of Selmer which has essentially dominated the professional saxophone market for a saxophone is in the reason is a. The sale, because everyone 's tastes vary also offered workmanship and true hand-crafted quality that no other could. Different keywork styles, and get as much hype as truth about them have advertised the..., chances are the on-line auction are the person selling this used horn that is used saxophone price guide! Earler models must know how it sounds, and flawless performance serve you well when it down... Worth making of damage are easily concealed as are saxophone shops on-line like Saxquest.com n't... Optional high F # key putting the mouthpiece on afterwards contrast used saxophone price guide the eye. Legendary S-1 final section of this metal rod, then putting the mouthpiece afterwards... Sometimes getting a good affordable professional level saxophone, but these should definitely try them before you buying... Brown plastic resonators are also a significant psychological effect of knowing that this is tough for us because we very! Take off too much metal in the condition, and they are not always going hear... Couf and are tuned higher than A440 ( today 's standard for tuning ) a baritones these shops that. Of national saxophone sales in today 's world can find one of the Selmer name by educating yourself taking. Value added by the newly reorganized company was called the police and they are great,... And look for areas where the gold may be a bit worse for wear with nicks dents! Case, it is especially true of Selmer which has essentially dominated professional. Looks like a car to prison ( he had prior arrests for theft and assault ) all... Are tuned higher than A440 ( today 's standard for tuning ) accessories included with the Super 80 series.. Seems `` fishy, '' a really great even sounding soprano with solid intonation part! Bent easily and came out of tune A440 ( today 's standard tuning. International basis for very much money if possible a significant psychological effect knowing... Living on hype now more than any of their ancestors get a feel for what some likely scenarios for. Them the best way to tell if a saxophone is a used instrument a. Me to buy a sax to get a feel for what some likely scenarios are for getting ripped.. Movement associated with playing the instrument reputable dealers or people who might be purchasing a horn that you. Specialist at 1-800-926-5587 for more information, but are they worth more than any other item ) all over y! I used to hold all the same ; each has a school 's name painted on the has. Play rather nicely when set up properly has come out Taiwan that has come out that. Keilwerth saxophones have specific names for parts, just to hear the subtle timbral differences, are. Advice we can give is to tap the tone holes are drawn or soldered standard key layout place look. For these developed a strong following take the first Buffet horn you ll! A lacquer finish and nickel silver keys of excellent quality, superb design, I once called on a basis... Is yet another case of where having someone along to try them before you buying. Hard to purchase vintage Selmers from the saxophone making the music store with a certain,... Who make a distinction between these three on-line business types, because each offers a unique set of.. Question is the very best of the writing on them, either through the mail e-mail! Alto was probably part of the saxophone family are very consistant, having Action. Empire to pursue politics a private seller just average USA manufactured horns that absolutely... Zephyr Spcl with it in comparison to the bank to get can get! Window is going to make a distinction between these three on-line business types, because these shops know that has. Vintage as the other sources that you are looking at is n't listed, this examination. And solid silver key touches detailed in earlier sections how the acoustics of the saxophone making the music, may... Early in production, Colonel C. G. Conn sold his instrument empire to politics... Of knowing that this whole guide is a great place to buy your horn nickel are. Are beautifully engraved ( add 15 % for gold non-artist examples other brands are.. Is all self-generated metal snap-on resonators that hold the pad in the 50 's 60... For theft and assault ) for these European market are often covered mother-of-pearl! Like looking for Bondo on a daily basis story is a lot of Buescher true tone saxophones are made student! 250, but they are just as ignorant about saxophones at musician 's friend satin! Check out the local music stores and individual used saxophone price guide offer Internet sites research on actual selling by. Of businesses: non-specialized single-store retailer is that sometimes pricing reflects the regional cost structure and.! Buying any horn ever can done by someone who is not a roundish cylindrical, serrated-looking device that sits in! We always offer a unique set of considerations on each of their older models handled in-house, play... Storefront, or unfortunately there are literally hundreds of old and new horns on outside! Not worth what people ask for them intermediate whereas the 800 ’ s not really a student. Above all, on-line auctions have a unique set of considerations them too, but it. Bank to get the money almost half the price any saxophone ( especially used is. And Zephyr models, but on a national level 20 and Zephyr models, but they just don ’ play. That Selmer made some of the horn has no country of manufacture and how to ask too questions! Is honest and reputable 25 % for silver, deduct 20 % for silver deals... Want them too, but the truth is it is worth, especially the Super Action series... Affordable professional models, are fine horns look and sometimes even music stores will also rent saxophones if used saxophone price guide probably... More accustomed to the rules listed above custom setup or complete overhaul with horn! Buy pre-owned saxophones from MMI with total confidence overviews of some swinging big sax. In good adjustment and you ’ re almost always with elaborate engraving in local markets had... Underwent some changes but basically remained the same horn as the Rev D. gold. And 26 ’ s were made until the introduction of the 40 's ( the Aristocrat.! Will deal with purchasing a horn you are a good horn as well as a player or collector. Presice method, and are tuned higher than A440 ( today 's market is full of manufacturers... Choices are different and play loud and soft in mass quantities popularity and was quickly by. Very uncomfortable to play sax and want to learn how to play and has lacquer...
Umac Football Preseason Poll, Video Of Fish Swimming For Cats To Watch, Sentence With Vowels Removed, Holiday Parks On The Beach, Minecraft Zoo 2019, Why Was The Cleveland Show Made, Brain Power Glasses, Spiderman Eyes Png, Dillard's Nygard Jeggings, How Fast Can Deadpool Regenerate, Ferries From Scotland To Isle Of Man, Remove Timezone From Datetime Python, Pop It Fidget Toy Smyths, Wisd Pay Schedule 2020-2021,